3.25.2011

how i think the world has changed

My grandfather, Leroy Rearick, worked his whole life at Lucky's Supermarket. Back in 1999 Lucky's was bought by Albertsons LLC, remember the "marriage" with the free cake? Anyway, my grandpa has lived a very enjoyable life thus far. He's a homeowner, has money in the bank, basically raised his grandchildren, and still supports my fathers brother. He could always afford his pack of Marlboro Reds. The purpose of this post is to discuss the change in the job market, and our current job outlook in general.
Now-a-days, it would be impossible to earn a living off a basic service job like my grandfather held his whole life. I mean hell, he wasn't even a manager. Earning enough money to buy a house is even something that seems so far out of reach with all the student debt my friends and I are having to carry. The bottom line, is that the amount of jobs that don't require a college degree are shrinking; and the pay, benefits, and work circumstances will NOT provide enough to live like our grandfathers, and even fathers did. This is a scary thing. This fact makes the workforce, more competitive for the scarce amount of jobs that will afford us this lifestyle. A college degree is absolutely necessary. But why? It is necessary, because everything in western civilization places importance on "rockstar jobs". I feel like when we grow up, we must LOVE OUR JOB. What? Why? Our jobs or careers, now define us as people. And it sucks. I'm sure when my grandpa was little, he wasn't running around saying how he wanted to be a supermarket store clerk.Our society places an extreme importance on these rockstar jobs. The worst part is for me, is that it seems these, normal jobs that used to get good people by, have a negative stigma. I will never judge a garbage man, or a store clerk, or anyone. Social statuses are ridiculous and separating. I believe in pride in work, and thats all. No matter what the job. I'd love to hear everyones thoughts. My battery is dying.

Later!

-Tay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree. a few years ago, i would catch myself saying, "ya, i work at starbucks, but that's just temporary." it seemed my ego couldn't handle being "just" a barista. i got over it and am super thankful i have a job that provides medical/health, 401k, and other sweet benefits. screw society and their labels, but on the other hand, i find myself just as guilty judging the "suits" who i have to serve with their elitist mentalities. big flaw of mine is my disdain for rich people, it's my burden to bear:) good stuff.

Connor Curley said...

I guess I would say instead of focusing on having a job you love, you find things to love in a job that allows you to do what you love. To me though, I think the majority preference is to get a "good" job rather than a "rockstar" job. The emphasis on "rockstar jobs" strikes me as being an invention of the few priviledged enough not to have to worry about the crush standard bills/debt.
It's all about priorities.